Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Some Poetry

While most of my writing here in Costa Rica has involved work on one screenplay, I have also written a short story and several poems. We are fortunate to live in a place whose natural beauty inspires us day and day out. This poetry comes from this place and the peacefulness it can inspire. I'll share two short poems I wrote back in January. Later this week, I'll post two more.



“A Bird Sings”
And now a bird sings.
I’d like to know his life.
His favorite food;
His favorite tree;
His dearest companion.

And why he sings.
I mean,
     Does he enjoy his song as much as I?
     Does he smile at the breeze that is cooling us now?

And is he home?
Or, is he too a visitor,
Stopping in, resting on a long journey?

If you are home, thank you for your hospitality.
If you are passing through, safe travels.
May we meet again.


“The Tree”

A tree bends toward me.
Closest to me, a hole.
It’s eye, I suppose.
The tree has lived all its life here.
     Not in Costa Rica,
     Not in Nosara,
But here in this dry patch of soil,
     In these bright rays of sun,
     With these close neighbors.
Here too will it die.

I am much more flighty
And claim some wisdom from my travels.
But as the tree watches me,
I know it contains a wisdom even more profound
Gained from its own life lived.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home