Sunday, May 09, 2010

Return to the Falls

With rainy season in full swing now, we have been excited for a couple weeks to get back to the waterfall that we visited several times in November (see this entry called Seasons in the Sun). With our friends the Tuttons and minus our wonderful Riley (who was playing at a friend's house), we journeyed expectantly back to the falls in the hope of some freshwater fun.

The first part of adventure classifies in the history books now as "The Casagrande's Scariest Moment in Costa Rica." Read on, if you dare. The walk to the falls involves crossing a pasture that is closed off by barbed wire. The barbed wire is effective at keeping the cows in, less so at keeping folks like us out. So, with half our crew having run ahead through the pasture, Tara and I were left with Tae and Baker and David and Katy Tutton and their 5 year old daughter, Gemma. We crossed under the barbed wire and into a field with a dozen or so cows, a bull or two and half a dozen or more calves. The bulls were big. Really big. With big horns, the kind you see as hood ornaments on cadillacs down in Texas.

We walked down the path on the right side of the field, eyes fixed mostly on the ground on the lookout for venomous snakes--they have always been the chief concern on this hike. However, as I, in the lead, walked past a bull about 30 feet from me, he stared right at me. I offered up the suggestion to all to just move ahead and not look the bull in the eyes. I quickened my pace and, a second or two later, heard a scream from Gemma. The bull, eyes ablaze, was now just a few feet from our path--where Baker and Gemma had been. Gemma was off in a bush with her mother who had swept her up and ran off. Baker was thirty yards behind me (he had been 3 yards behind me), having also taken off running when the bull charged. Baker and Gemma were both seriously shaken, as were the adults. The bull had charged right at Baker and Gemma while I had my head down forging onward.

Now the bull was between Tara, Baker, Tae and the Tuttons and me and yet, we had to march on to the falls because the rest of our group (all kids) was already there. So, I walked back towards Tara, eyes on the bull. He had moved back a few steps again--maybe now 20 feet from the path. As I walked by, he came around and behind me, effectivly herding me back in with my group--as he undoubtedly had been herded many times before.

With adrenaline pumping, we found an alternate path to the falls following the river bed. We made it there without further problem and on the return trip avoided the bulls altogether.

The falls were great. Here are some photos and video of our time.

Tara enjoying the big pool at the MalaNoche Falls.

Baker leaping from an 8 foot jump. Later we moved up to about 18 feet. (or 21 feet, according to Tom!)

Selena, Baker, Tom, Katy, Sage and Maya at the falls.

Tara and Tae having a pre-mother's day moment!

Tae enjoys a fireman's carry from David on the way home.

With the falls dryer than during our visits last November, we were able to climb up above the primary falls and find two other small swimming pools and this great little natural waterslide that Tae and Gemma enjoyed.

Pura Vida, baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home