Monday, May 17, 2010

From San Juanillo

And, one final poem, during this poetry section of the blog. This one was written on a beautiful day at San Juanillo, a beach about 20 km north of us.

“God’s Beauty”


I come to the beach
Looking for beauty;
For whitewater crashing on rocks;
For sunlight sparkling on sea;
For God’s pattern in the roll of each wave.

And I see it.
But still I fight to keep my eyes open.
Tired am I.
“Sit up!”
“Look and admire!”
But my body says
Lay back,
Soften,
Relax.

My body wins.
I lay in the sand
It clings to my wet back.

Above me
Sunlight splashes down
Through the lattice
Of naked tree branches
One above the other
Large limbs tapering into
Narrow arms spreading into
Fine twigs.

God’s beauty sixty inches away,
There for me to witness
Only when I give in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home